Vitamin c a water-soluble vitamin also known as ascorbic acid' It protects one's body from free radicals which play an important role in ageing process. citrus fruits such as oranges, strawberries, gooseberries and grapes and leafy vegetables like cabbage, cauliflowers etc are great sources of vitamin c the requirement of vitamin c the requirement of vitamin C to our body is around 65 to 75mg daily let us consider some amazing benefits of including in your diet.
1. Boost Immunity: Various studies suggest that vitamin c deficiency can decrease the body's resistance against certain pathogens. So including it in one's diet helps to fight various infections and allergies thereby strengthen the immune system.
2. Helps to Fight Asthma: Those who have chronic asthma can greatly benefit from vitamin c. It is an antioxidant and antihistamine that enables improved lung function. Studies suggest that 1000- 2000mg of the vitamin every day can effectively reduce the production of histamines which is a major cause of inflammation in asthma patients.
3. Helps in Speeds up the Wound Healing: Vitamin C leads to the production of collagen, a protein present in the connective tissue of the skin, muscles and tendons. So regular intake of this vitamin is helpful in wound healing whether the wound is a minor cut a broken bone, burns or deep wounds.
4. Improves Neurological Conditions: Vitamin c is crucial in protecting the brain and nervous system against the harmful effects of stress. when taken in optimum amount, it synthesizes the regulation of stress hormones.
5. Reduces Risks of Cataracts: Direct exposure to sunlight leads to the generation of free radicals in one's eye lens which causes cataract or blindness in the elderly. Free radicals can be successfully eliminated by vitamin c intake.
6. Reduces the Risk of Stroke: Vitamin c kills the free radicals which damage the walls of arteries and thereby decreases the possibility of a stroke. Along with this its consumption also lowers cholesterol and improves blood flow.
7. Useful in Arthritis Symptoms: People suffering from arthritis are administered vitamin c supplements to raise the levels of the vitamin in their bodies This helps to reduce pain, swelling of joints and inflammation as well. the production repair and maintenance of cartilaginous tissue are enhanced as a result of collagen production by vitamin c.
8. Helps in Healthy Gums: A regular and moderate intake of vitamin c and prevent bleeding gums and lead to improved oral health.
9. Helps in Weight Loss: Adequate levels of vitamin c can foster weight and fat loss by increasing oxidation of body fat during exercise and enhancing metabolism.
10. Good for Skin Problems: Clinical trials have proven that vitamin c prevents sagging of skin, reduces wrinkles, protects from UV rays as well as improves the elasticity of the skin. Therefore today it is widely used in various face packs, creams and moisturizers.
11. Prevents Cancer: Numerous lab studies have shown that high doses of vitamin c can slow the growth of prostrate liver colon, and other types of cancer cells.
12. Regulates Blood Sugar: Regular and long-term intake of vitamin c supplements aids the regulation of blood sugar levels in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes.
13. Great for healthy Hair: Dry and flaky skin can lead to the clogging of hair follicles. this prevents hair growth and leads to the production of hair growth it also prevents premature graying of hair.
Vitamin c rich foods: Now that we know the many benefits of vitamin c following food items are rich in vitamin c
Guava: Guava contains a large amount of the antioxidants, lycopene Eating just one Guava can provide 126mg of this vitamin to us. People with high B.P and Cholesterol should consume this as it significantly lowers blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Kiwi: One kiwi contains 71mg of vitamin c. On consuming kiwi one can improve immunity, reduces oxidative stress and lower cholesterol levels it also increases blood cell activity.
Oranges: Oranges are an excellent source of vitamin c. it contains 70mg of vitamin c.
Lemons: Lemons contain an abundance of vitamin c. One whole lemon in your diet fulfils 92 % of one's daily vitamin c requirements.
Papayas: Papaya is good for digestion and contains anti-inflammatory properties as well. it accounts for 97% of one's daily vitamin c need. A solution for better .immunity, prevention of cataract, stroke, neurological conditions, the benefits of vitamin c indeed make it one of the most important vitamins that ought to be a part of everyone's diet.